Sleeps 2 to 4
Castelnuovo Magra, Cinque Terre – Liguria
Comfortably sleeping two people, with additional facilities for an extra two, this pretty country house with pool nestles in a privileged elevated position on a hillside facing out towards the sea. Located nearby is the picturesque medieval village of Castelnuovo Magra, just on the border between Liguria and Tuscany. This venue forms an ideal base for exploring the Cinque Terre fishing villages and nature reserve, as well as for accessing the local beaches.
The low-level house is built in attractive pale stone, which is harmoniously complemented by eye-catching light blue shutters. Along the whole length of the property’s sunny façade extends a shady veranda, enjoying spectacular views out over the peaceful garden, the broad stretch of valley below and the shimmering waters of the Mediterranean Sea in the distance beyond. From the veranda at ground-floor level, you enter the combined living/dining room, with stylishly modern, fully equipped kitchen units built in across one side-wall. The contemporary-style furnishings include a comfortable black sofa, a coffee table and a long dining-table with seating, while the floor is of original terracotta tilework and the ceiling lightwood panelling. Adjoining this dayroom is the downstairs master bedroom, with double bed and contemporary-design decor, as well as a large, bright bathroom with shower and elegant modern tiling and fittings. From the little hallway, a small, open-plan, spiral staircase leads up to a mezzanine floor, where another double bed is accommodated. However, the headroom here is restricted, so this sleeping area is more suited to teenagers or short-stay visitors.
- Ground floor: Kitchen/living room, 1 double bedroom, 1 bathroom with shower
- First Floor: 1 mezzanine double bedroom
- Square Meters: 60
- Outside: private furnished patio and garden, swimming pool (7,5×4), panoramic views
- Private parking: 2 cars.
One of the outstanding assets of this cosy little house is the sunny spot it occupies, commanding superb hillside views down towards the villages on the plains below and then right out to sea! This magnificent scenic backdrop can best be appreciated from the welcome shade of the delightful paved veranda, with its beamed/terracotta-tiled roof, which stretches across the entire length of the property. It is graced by luxuriant potplants and bordered by lawns dotted with a host of mature, shade-giving olive trees. To one side, the high tower of the local medieval castle, constructed in mellow, honey-coloured stone and complete with battlements, can be made out on its hilltop in the near distance. What more romantic setting than this to watch the world go by on a warm summer’s evening?
To the left of the house, a path takes you up to the organically curvaceous little pool, set in a suntrap position open to the skies, yet screened by tall evergreen olive trees. Here the paved surround invites you to relax and unwind, when you’re taking time out from luxuriating in the refreshing waters of the pool. An adjacent outbuilding houses a summer kitchen and dining area, freely available for guests’ use, where you can savour at leisure the seductive delights of eating al fresco!
The area around Castelnuovo caters to many different tastes, offering a wealth of leisure-time pursuits for people of all ages. Watersports enthusiasts can swim, windsurf, sail and go sea-fishing in the Mediterranean, while sun-worshippers can bask idly on the unspoilt sandy beaches. The nearby inland Apuan Alps mountain range, which reaches as high as 1,750 metres above sea-level, provides extensive opportunities for leisurely walking, more strenuous hiking, serious climbing or carefree cycling in fantastic scenery.
For those fascinated by history, art and architecture, the medieval town of Sarzana, set in the valley below, invites you to explore its lovely historic centre and magnificent churches, which acquired special importance when the town took over the bishopric of Luni during the Middle Ages.
If, however, it is exclusive regional cuisine that you’ve come in search of, the villages hugging the local coast-road from Bocca di Magra to Lerici boast some excellent fish restaurants.
In addition, Liguria’s capital city, the ancient, once most powerful port of Genoa, birthplace of both Christopher Columbus and the 18th century violin virtuoso Niccolò Paganini, is just an hour’s drive away, as are the splendid, world-famous Tuscan cities of Lucca and Pisa.
- Closest village: Castelnuovo Magra 600 meters where there are grocery shops, restaurants and bars a pharmacy, post office and bank.
- Closest Supermarket: “Pam” Supermarket Via Malaspina Fosdinovo, “Ipercoop” Mall Sarzana
- Distance to shopping: Supermarket 3 Km
- Closest restaurant: Castelnuovo Magra 800 m
- Other restaurants & Pubs: Around Castelnuovo Magra 5 mins by car or Sarzana 10 mins by car
- Closest beaches/sea: Bocca di Magra 11 km
- Nearest highway: Sarzana 7 km
- Nearest train station: Sarzana 7 km
- Nearest Airport: Pisa (PSA) 74 km
SITES OF INTEREST
- Cinque Terre by train: Trains depart daily from La Spezia
- Timetable and information: Treni Italia
- Cinque Terre by boat: Ferry companies depart daily from the local port of La Spezia
- Timetable and information: http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/
- Beaches: Bocca di Magra, Lerici, Fiascherino, Tellaro,
- Towns & Villages: Sarzana: 7 km, Bocca i Magra: 5 km, Lerici/Golfo dei Poeti: 14 km, Fiascherino/Tellaro: 24,5 km, Portovenere: 35 km, Portofino: 90 km, Genova: 107 km, Carrara/marble quarries: 25 km, Versilia/Forte dei Marmi: 30 km, Pisa: 65 km, Lucca: 55, Firenze: 120 km.
- All linen and towels
- All utilities
- WI Fi Internet Access
- Air conditioning
- Water, gas, electricity
PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Security Deposit € 250,00 to be paid in Euro cash on arrival and refunded at the end of the holiday
- Final cleaning € 30,00
- Heating during winter months according to consumption
- Rentals are Saturday to Saturday
- Short rentals considered on request
- Arrival between 5 and 9 p.m.
- Departure by 10.00.
- Car essential
- Child friendly
- Pets welcome
|Air Conditioning||Living Room|
|Hair Dryer||Private Parking|
|Wifi Internet||Towels Provided|
|Iron & Board||Washing Machine|
|4 Ring Stove||Microwave|
|Dishes & Utensils||Refrigerator|
|Dining||Seating For 6 People|
|Satellite / Cable||Television|
|Private Garden||Private Pool (7,5X4)|
|BBQ||Porch / Veranda|
|Garden Table & Chairs|
|Boat/ yacht charter||Guided excursions|
|Cooking Service||Private Driver|
|Live Theater||Theme Parks|
|Local Services & Businesses:|
|Fitness Center||Medical Services|
|Sports & Adventure Activities:|
|Fishing||Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling|
|Jet Skiing||Water Skiing|
|Mountain Biking||Whale Watching|
|Outlet Shopping||Whitewater Rafting|
[booking type=3 nummonths=1]