Vescovi di Luni Castle
The high crenellated tower with a square plan that emerges impressive and stylish over the roofs of the village of Castelnuovo Magra, characterizes the profile of the country, so as to make it clearly recognizable in the area and becoming a reassuring reference point for who visiting the Magra Valley and the Plain of Luni, find hillside setting as a system of hilltop villages sometimes hard to distinguish.
By the end of the twelfth century has documented the presence of a fortress, probably built by Bishop Gualtieri to ensure the control and security of the underlying Via Romea, but the current structure dates back to the second half of the thirteenth century, built as a bishop’s residence and seat of the diocese of Luni. In the following centuries, under the domination of Florence and Genoa, was turned into a military fort, only to be phased out. As it happened for the ancient Luni, the poor remains, once lost their function, were subsequently demolished and its stones were used to build the houses in the village, in a logic of recovery of material and labor economy that today makes us sad and leaves us perplexed, but allowed the birth and the development of many villages in these hills.
Of the majestic medieval castle remains only the great tower of the defense system and a smaller round tower, enriched by the typical corbels brick with arches, connected with the remains of the walls, which today surround the beautiful Piazza Querciola, home to many artistic and cultural events.
This is such a noble place where, on the fourth Sunday in August, we celebrate the anniversary of the famous Peace of Dante, of which was valuable witness the great poet, signed on October 6, 1306 to seal the peace between the Bishops of Luni and the Marquises Malaspina, who after seven years of severe conflicts, changed the course of history of the valley.
Source: Trame di Lunigiana