Villa Flora Vorno, Lucca - Tuscany
Sleeps 2 to 24
Vorno, Lucca Tuscany, Italy
Nestling in 50 acres of olive groves, pine clad hills and gardens, Villa Flora is a Magnificent 18th century villa in the Lucca foothill village of Vorno with large double bedrooms for rent for two nights or longer.
Children are welcome. There are wonderful views and a 12 metre pool with separate childrens pool, outside dining area, tennis court, central heating, air conditioning, cable TV, and an American pool table.
The house is luxuriously furnished in the style of an English country house. All bathrooms have showers and the main bedroom, Dante, has a double jacuzzi bath with spectacular views of the sunsets over Vorno church.
The main dining room with its impressive frescoes and chandeliers seats 36 to 80 and is perfect for birthdays, anniversaries, wedding parties, family re-unions, film shoots and product launches.
Vorno is a celebrated village and has the unique distinction of being the home of the inventors of the internal combustion engine, Matteucci and Barsanti. Every few years this is celebrated in Vorno with an exhibition of the prototype and original photographs and documentation of their design last time this took place in the chapel at Villa Duchessa.
The village is also well known for its beautiful clear spring water and its summer climate with a lovely evening breeze which floats down from Monte Pisano and Monte Zano. For non-drivers there is a regular bus service from the village square to the centre of Lucca.
Lucca station (5 km) from where you can get anywhere on the efficient and cheap Italian rail system . There is a charming village grocery shop , family run trattoria and bar all in the same ownership just 5 minutes walk from the villa as well as an excellent butcher for all those barbecues.
The trattoria “Il Bimbotto” is open every evening and has wonderful pizzas, beef steak Fiorentina and other famous Tuscan dishes. The bar hosts wild karaoke evenings in the summer season.
There are many events which take place all through the year in Lucca which was voted by Forbes magazine as the second most agreeable and desirable place in the world to live and visit.
The most famous of these is the July music festival which is outside in Piazza Napoleone in the middle of the city and every year in the summer has many legendary performers such as Elton John, Joan Baez, Lionel Richie, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, Jamiroquai and Mark Knopfler, previously of Dire Straits.
For antique lovers there is the diverse and picturesque antique market spilling over in every little square and alleyway in the city centre which takes place every third weekend throughout the year and for music and opera lovers there is a concert every day of they year in a deconsecrated church in Lucca, (San Giovanni) of the music of Lucca’s most famous son, Giacomo Puccini. For more information, please click here.
In August there is the full scale Puccini opera festival at Torre del Lago , and of course in February there is the world famous Viareggio carnival both 25 minutes drive from Villa Duchessa.
Of course cycling the 3 km mediaeval walls of Lucca is an experience never to be forgotten whether on a summers day with the sunlight dappling through the plane trees or in the autumn with the burnt gold and orange hues of the changing of the season. For the more adventurous cyclist there are wonderful 25 kilometre rides along the River Serchio where you can also do white water rafting.
THE GROUNDS – DETAILS
- Nestling in 50 acres of pine forests, olive groves and pine forests the villa lies about 8 kilometres to the South of Lucca and has extensive gardens, a floodlit tennis court, a large swimming pool and several different al fresco dining areas.
- Whilst the house is situated in the heart of the picturesque village of Vorno the surroundings are completely rural and tranquil but guests have the convenience of the village bar, shop and restaurant (Il Bimbotto) being only five minutes walk away.
- There are wonderful views of the surrounding hills, forests, olive groves and the Alpe Apuane, sometimes snowcapped in the winter.
CASA FLORA – DETAILS
- Casa FLORA, adjoining Villa Duchessa, is one of the oldest houses in the village of Vorno.
- 550 sq. m. it was originally a farmhouse. Fully restored to the highest standards in 2013.
- 5 bedrooms, 4 doubles with King size double beds and ensuite bathrooms.
- One large bedroom w sky light, three 4ft wide beds, ensuite shower, ideal for children.
- Large living room with fireplace and views.
- Large garden with Casa FLORAs original eighteenth century wood fire pizza oven.
- Kitchen with AGA cooker and AGA fridge, etc.
- Dining room and kitchen doors open on to the large terrace and garden with fabulous views of the village, olive groves and the Appuan Alps.
- The legendary Tuscan sunsets are best enjoyed here at cocktail hour.
- Direct access from Casa FLORAs terrace to Villa Duchessa’s stunning 18 m. swimming pool.
- Tennis court.
- The two ground floor bedrooms are ideal for anyone who prefers to avoid the stairs.
- Ample parking.
- Five minutes walk from local Trattoria restaurant Il Bimbotto (pizzas, pasta and local specialties), bar and there are another 2 restaurants not too far away.
Its long history goes back to Etruscan and Ancient Roman times, and the city retains pieces of Ancient architecture. Lucca’s great era was in the Gothic era just before the Renaissance, and the city contains much marvelous architecture from that era. Lucca’s current defensive walls were designed by Leonardo Da Vinci and were never breached. Lucca remained an independent city state until the end of the 18th century. Giacomo Puccini, one of italian worldwide known opera composers, was born in Lucca.
The area of most interest to visitors is still enclosed within the old city defensive wall. The top of these broad walls is a ring park, a pleasant place for walking.
- Roman amphitheater – To be found off the Via Fillungo, main entrance by Piazza Scarpellini. The remains of the amphitheater are gone. The houses there are of medieval origin, built where the spectator stands were. The amphitheatre hosts concerts and many international performers including Van Morrison and The Eagles have played here.
- Duomo di San Martino, Piazza di San Martino. Romanesque cathedral dating to 14th century. Contains the must-see Volto Santo and Ilaria del Carretto’s Sarcophagus (Note you have to pay to see this) – By Jacopo della Quercia. Includes a sculpture of the crucifixion attributed to an eyewitness, Nicodemus. Some interesting carvings in the marble exterior, including a labyrinth.
- Torre Guinigi – this is a tower with trees atop it, a very dramatic sight, with good views of the city. No lift, many stairs.
- Torre delle Ore – ancient clock tower with original clock still working; is it possible to go upstairs on this tower too (beautiful view on the city, good perspective of Fillungo street).
- Palazzo Mansi.
- Saint Michael’s Church– Located in center of the Roman Forum
- Saint Frediano’s Church
- Via Fillungo Main street full of shops and bars.
- Palazzo Pfanner, Via degli Asili. Preserved rooms formerly inhabited by the Pfanner family, as well as a pleasant garden. Also on display, some 19th century medical equipment.
- Piazza Napoleone, Lucca’s largest square. Contains the large Palazzo Ducale, now a government building.
- Domus Romana, remains of an old Roman home, have been partially excavated, and may be seen at via Cesare Battisi 15 .
Forte dei Marmi
With its beaches and its sea (blue flag certified), hills, parks and Apuan St. Flushing, Forte dei Marmi Versilia is one of the ideal destinations for a vacation of relaxation and nature. Here you will find many opportunities to spend a wonderful holiday. You could spend your time on our beaches or hiking in the Apuan Alps or in parks, or walk over the splendid avenues of Marina di Pietrasanta, Lido di Camaiore and Viareggio enjoy our fresh seafood in a typical restaurant, and finally let yourself down into the fun of life night where the lights of night are linked with those of the morning.
Forte dei Marmi
is now pioneering an elite tourism, a worldliness that preserves its original splendor. Good food and clean sea make always a point of reference for those seeking an exclusive holiday.
With the several attractions in Forte Dei Marmi available to tourists, Forte Dei Marmi must dos are galore. Located in the Lucca province of Tuscany, Italy, Fort Dei Marmi is a quaint sea town thriving on tourism. Forte Dei Marmi attracts several tourists who come here to enjoy their vacation by the pristine sandy beaches and enjoy shopping in the exclusive designer boutiques (or the flea markets available all over the place). Given below are top five must dos while in Forte Dei Marmi.
Forte Dei Marmi Beaches
One of the first beach resorts in Italy Forte Dei Marmi is very popular among the rich and beautiful people. People from around the world, especially from Milan, Russia, Florence and Germany, flock to Forte Dei Marmi to enjoy the sand and sun among other things that the city has to offer. The fine sand and the calm and clean waters of the beach make it an ideal place for children and one of the best in Europe. The beach has several club houses, which offer sun bathing decks and other amenities to their guests. You can choose to play in the water, or just enjoy watching the kids play and relax.
Forte Dei Marmi Flea Market
Forte Dei Marmi is a shoppers paradise. Apart from the exclusive boutique showrooms or Made in Italy tags, it is also famous for its flea markets. The Forte Dei Marmi flea market opens every Wednesday from 8.00 to 14.30 at Piazza Macroni near the city center. Traders from all over Italy come over to display their wares. Everything under the sun, from crockery to branded designer wear, is available at this flea market for bargain prices. During summers when the tourist inflow increases, this market is open even on Sundays. This is the perfect place to shop, as you get the best of Italy.
Forte Dei Marmi is also known as the Fort of Marbles, a name that it received as it was the main marble deposit area in ancient times. The only constructions available then were a warehouse and wharf to transport the marbles. The Marble Warehouse is one of the very first constructions in Forte Dei Marmi built in 1618. Its remains are still visible in the city. The old wharfs remains are also visible in the sea, stretching over 300 meters and offering a great view of the city.
- Closest village: Vorno 400 mt
- Closest town: Lucca 12 km
- Distance to shopping: Vorno 1 km
- Closest restaurant: Ristorante “Bimbotto” 400 mt,
- Other restaurants & pubs: Da Pasquale, Locanda Il Cavallino Bianco, Le Bontà sas Lucca 12 km
- Closest beaches/sea: Viareggio 33 km, Forte dei Marmi 43 km
- Closest bus stop: 1 km
- Nearest highway: Lucca 12 km
- Nearest train station: Lucca 12 km
- Nearest Airport: Pisa (PSA) 17 km
SITES OF INTEREST:
- Cinque Terre: ferry companies depart daily from the Marina of Lerici
Shedules and information: http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/
- Beaches: Forte dei Marmi 43 km, Cinque Terre: 30 mins by ferry boat from La Spezia, Portofino: 40 mins by Ferry Boat from La Spezia
- Places to see: Lucca: 12 km, Viareggio: 33 km, Montecatini Terme 32 km, Pisa 17 km, Forte dei Marmi: 43 km, Carrara/marble quarries: 63 km, Firenze 85 km, Lerici: 70 Km, Fiascherino/Tellaro: 73 km, Cinque Terre: 100 km by car, Portovenere 97 km, Portofino: 184 km, Genova: 198 km,
- All linen and towels
- Pool towels
- All utilities
- Alarm system
- WiFi Internet Access
- Water, gas, electricity
- Use of Laundry
- Gardener (weekly)
- The price includes also: Concierge
PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Security Deposit 3.000,00 to be paid in Euro by cash on arrival and refunded at the end of the holiday.
- Final cleaning 200,00
- Heating on consumption (in case of 1 month rent)
- 1 week minimun stay
- Rentals are Saturday to Saturday
- Short rentals considered on request
- Arrival between 5 and 8 p.m.
- Departure by 10.00 a.m.
- Car essential
- No pets allowed
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
A 3.000.00/month cash deposit has to be payd at arrival . A member of our personnel will be present when you leave the property. The deposit will be returned to you less the repair or replacement cost of missing, broken or damaged objects.
Keys will be provided for the serviced apartments and are to be returned in line with the departure terms as above.
Fireplace, Heating / AC, Linens Provided, Towels Provided, Hair Dryer, Parking, Heating, Internet WiFi, Maid, Washing Machine, Iron & Board, Vacuum cleaner,
Blender, Coffee Maker, Pantry Items, Dishes & Utensils, Refrigerator, Dishwasher, 4 ring Stove, Microwave, Toaster, Oven
Dining, Seating For 80 People,
Books, Cinema with 12 seats, Dvd Player, Piano, Stereo, TV Sat, Pool table, Satellite / Cable, Video Library,
Balcony, Chapel Consacrated , Deck / Patio, Outdoor Grill, Private Garden, Parasol, Private Pool (12×5 m), Table & Chairs, Porch / Veranda, Sunbed, Tennis Camp
Cooking service, Daily Domestic Staff, Extra Maid Service, Boat/Yacht Charter, Guided Excursions, Private Driver, Private Chef
Beaches, Churches, Restaurants, Forests, Ruins, Lakes, Marina, Museums, Rivers, Water Parks, Winery Tours,
Local Services & Businesses:
Atm/Bank, Babysitter, Fitness Center , Groceries, Hospital, Medical Services, Massage Therapist,
Sports & Activities:
Cycling, Deepsea Fishing, Disco Club, Fishing, Golf, Hiking, Horseback Riding, Jet Skiing, Mountain Biking, Outlet Shopping, Paragliding, Rafting, Sailing, Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling, Swimming, Tennis, Walking, Water Skiing, Whale Watching, Whitewater, Wind-Surfing