Area (m) 250
Bedrooms 3 – Bathrooms 3
- Stunning position
- Stone property
- Olive Groves
- Private location
- Restored with character
- Planning permission for pool
Entrance from the stone flagged courtyard to a fitted kitchen and dining area with a couple of steps leading to the spacious living room also opening directly onto the courtyard. There is also a wc-laundry room on this level. Upstairs there is a master bedroom with ensuite bathroom, further bedroom and bathroom with shower.
The lower level of the house has an indipendent entrance to a room used as a guest bedroom with bathroom.The estate has a small cellar area and central heating. The property includes 2.5 hectares of olive groves producing high quality olive oil.
(Live now – View in Streaming)
- Orto Botanico dei Frignoli, a botanical garden and nature preserve.
- Fivizzano Museum of Printing, located in the Palazzo Fantoni Bononi, was created by Loris Jacopo Bononi to honor the printer Jacopo da Fivizzano who printed the first books with typed characters in c. 1470
- As Machiavelli described the start of the “Italian Wars”, Charles VIII, hoping to capture the Kingdom of Naples, invaded Italy at the head of a 30,000 man force, one of the first armed with modern artillery. On 29 October 1494 the French king breached Fivizzano’s defensive walls with an artillery assault and sacked the city while on the way to Florence, where Savonarola praised the French monarch as a savior who would cleanse the city of decadent corruption.
- The city walls were rebuilt under the direction of Cosimo de’ Medici I, Grand Duke of Tuscany, in the middle of the 16th century.
- The baroque fountain in the main piazza, donated by Cosimo de’ Medici III in 1683
- The birthplace/tomb of poet Giovanni Fantoni (1755–1807), called the ‘Tuscan Orazio’. Better known by his Archadian name ‘Labindo’
- The birthplace of Andreola Bosi, the mother of Pope Nicholas V (Niccolò V: 1397-1455 – born Tommaso Parentucelli).
- Pope Nicholas V, was born to Andreola Bosi (wife of Bartolomeo Parentucelli of Sarzana) in Fivizzano.
- Fivizzano’s Augustinian monastery, founded in 1391 and seriously damaged by the earthquake of 1920, was the second Augustinian monastery built in Tuscany and as such it was one of the most culturally significant monasteries of that order in Italy. The monastery and its adjacent church, San Giovanni (constructed in 1335), was the home base to native-born Augustinian cleric Leondaro da Vallanzzana (known as Leondaro da Fivizzano) whose oratorical skills captivated Lorenzo the Magnificent and church goers throughout Florence and were used to formally announce the excommunication of the Dominican cleric Savonarola. The monastery was also the home of Alessio Cassani (subject of the University of Pisa thesis of Sandro Bondi, previous mayor of Fivizzano and former Minister of Culture), a friar accused of heresy for hiding within the monastery numerous writings favorable to Luther.
- The Museum of San Giovanni, built within the ruins of the church of San Giovanni and adjacent to the foundations of the Augustinian monastery, displays the marble lid of the sarcophagus where the sculpted body of the Augustinian cleric Leonardo da Vallanzzana (Leonardo da Fivizzano), the nemesis of Savonarola, is displayed, eternally resting cross-armed on a bed of books. The varied displays in this small but intriguing museum also include an interesting view of the original ancient foundations of the building as well as Medieval, Renaissance and modern paintings, frescoes, and tapestries.
- The annual ‘Disfida degli Arceri di terra e di Corte’ (Challenge of the Ground Archers and the Court Archers), a historical archery contest which takes place in July in the Piazza Medicea.
- The annual ‘Tangoworld’ festival in September. It is one of the largest representations of Argentinian tango in Italy
The Lunigiana is an historical territory of Italy, which today falls within the provinces of La Spezia and Massa Carrara. Its borders derive from the ancient Roman settlement, later the medieval diocese of Luni, which no longer exists.
Lunigiana, a mountainous region dissected by the Magra river, covers an area which runs from the Apennines to the Mediterranean Sea, now belongs in part to Tuscany and in part to Liguria. It takes its name from Luni, a Roman town, perhaps pre-dated by an Etruscan settlement, which became the principal urban center on the northern Tuscan coast. Some contend that the name Luni refers to the moon, a celestial body whose beauty is made all the more attractive when framed by the white-peaked Apuan Alps and high Apennine mountains. Others maintain, though little or no evidence exists, that the region was populated by those who worshiped the moon. As if to unite history and myth, the symbol of contemporary Lunigiana is a crescent moon held in the claw of a bear. The earliest recorded inhabitants of this region may have been the Apuani (from which is derived the name of the Apuan mountain chain), an ancient Ligurian people, as well as Etruscans who may have inhabited towns along the coast and even the hamlets near in-land trade routes. Curiously, while evidence of both Roman and later Medieval settlements are ample, the wondrously appealing stele, late pre-historic and Bronze Age stone statues which have been found in large numbers in this part of Tuscany, remain the symbol of this ancient land. They are the first expression of the art and, perhaps, of the religious beliefs of the peoples that inhabited northern Tuscany from the Bronze Age to start of the Roman Empire.